Perfecting your oral hygiene routine can help you avoid dental problems. If you do develop a cavity or other oral health issue, your Mt. Pleasant, MI, dentist, Dr. Keith Bever, Jr, offers treatments that will help you protect your smile.
6 Ways You Can Improve Your Oral Hygiene
Keep your smile healthy with these tips:
- Check Your Toothbrush Often: Worn or frayed toothbrushes won't clean your teeth as effectively, and may even damage your tooth enamel or gums. Replace your toothbrush every three months, when the bristles show signs of wear, or after you've been sick.
- Stock Up on the Tools You Need: Keep extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental floss, and mouthwash in your medicine cabinet. If you don't like using floss or have trouble using it, try a water flosser instead. Power toothbrushes are a good choice if you find it difficult to manipulate a standard brush, or you just prefer power brushes.
- Choose the Best Products for Your Teeth: Toothpaste that contains fluoride can help you avoid cavities. The mineral strengthens tooth enamel and rebuilds weak areas, preventing cavities. When you shop for mouthwash in a Mt. Pleasant area store, look for products that offer fluoride and provide anti-bacterial protection.
- Devote More Time to Oral Hygiene: Did you know that the American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth for at least two minutes? If you only take a few seconds to brush your teeth, you'll probably leave cavity-causing plaque behind. Brushing your teeth twice daily and flossing once a day are simple ways to reduce plaque.
- Teach Your Children About the Importance of Good Oral Hygiene: Unfortunately, children aren't born with an innate knowledge of the benefits of oral hygiene. Let them know that brushing and flossing prevent them from getting cavities and gum disease. Help your kids brush and floss until they can easily handle the tasks themselves.
- Visit the Dentist Every Six Months: Twice-yearly checkups offer extra protection for your smile. Dental cleanings remove plaque and tartar from your teeth, lowering your cavity risk. During your visit, you'll also receive a dental exam to check for oral health issues. If you have a cavity or another problem, it can be treated before it causes significant damage to your oral health.
Regular dental checkups help you keep your teeth healthy! Call your dentist in Mt. Pleasant, Dr. Bever, Jr., at (989) 773-9793 to schedule an appointment.