Dental accidents can happen anytime. Here’s what to do.
From athletic injuries to a toothache, it’s important that you have a dentist that you can turn to right away for emergency care. Here in Mt. Pleasant, MI, dentist Dr. Keith Bever, Jr. and his team offer same-day, urgent dentistry for those with injuries and problems that require immediate treatment. Wondering whether you’re dealing with a true dental emergency?
What constitutes a dental emergency?
It’s important that you see your dentist here in Mt. Pleasant, MI, right away if you are dealing with any of these problems,
- Toothache (often a sign of a cavity)
- Bleeding gums
- A broken or cracked tooth
- A knocked-out or dislodged tooth
- Severe bleeding
- Abscessed gums
- Broken crown, filling or bridge
How can I prevent dental injuries?
There are certain measures you can take to protect your teeth to prevent injuries. Some of these measures include,
- Making sure the whole family visits the dentist every six months for checkups
- Wearing a seatbelt when driving in a car
- Wearing a mouthguard when participating in sports, particularly contact sports
- Wearing a nightguard if you grind your teeth
How should I handle a dental emergency?
Different types of emergencies call for different needs; however, these are some helpful rules to follow when dealing with a dental emergency,
- If you’ve knocked your tooth out, make sure to always handle the tooth by the crown (do not touch the roots)
- Rinse your mouth out with saltwater to reduce pain and swelling
- Take a pain killer such as ibuprofen
- Apply a cold compress to the side of the face that is in pain or is swollen
- Come into your dentist’s office as soon as possible (or give us a call first)
- Try and place a knocked-out tooth back into the socket (if it doesn’t go back in, do not force it; simply place the tooth into a container of milk and come into the office)
- If bleeding, apply pressure to the area for 10-15 minutes
Don’t let a dental emergency catch you off guard. Our family dentist here in Mt. Pleasant, MI, can provide you with immediate care. Call our office today at (989) 773-9793 to learn more about the dental services we provide.